Monday, July 5, 2010

Townsville to Mt Isa

Townsville to Mt Isa

Coming out of Townsville was wonderful!! Had the lovely sunrise at my shoulders keeping me warm in the early morning. My first destination was Charters Towers, it was going to be a 134km ride starting from the centre of Townsville.

It started off great and just about half way it went down hill a bit haha I got three popped tubes in my front tire all happening in less than a kilometre!! What are the odds with that!!! After the third tube popped I had enough, so I slapped a new tire on the front. Yes!!!!! No more pop’s haha On my rest day I took a long gaze at that tire, but couldn’t find the problem, so now it’s my back up tire.

Next day coming out of Charters Towers it was raining and the wind was blowing!!! Haha At this point I don’t think the outback wants me here I ponder to my self, but……. I really don’t care what he does, he can throw anything my way and I’ll still ride on YAAAAA!!!!! hahaha Not even out of the town of Charters when….. my trailer tire popped!!! Haha Come on!!!! I put everything into positive thinking by saying well at least the sun is not out frying my Canadian skin to black charcoal. I didn’t want any more flats so I put a new tire on the trailer haha. While on my way to Pentland everything was going pretty well, all I could see was bush and more bush haha Whole way I had a head wind which made it a bit more difficult for me haha But I pushed through it and got to Pentland which wasn’t that big haha It had a couple shops and that’s it haha. Mostly the caravan I stayed at had most of the groceries for that town it seemed haha

Leaving Pentland at a decent time, I could start feeling the outback cold that I was hearing about. It took an hour or so of cycling before I could feel my fingers and toes again haha On my way there was a rest stop that over looked the tree tops. It was my first real view of the bush!! Couldn’t stay long just a quick pic of the view, pee and a banana then I was off again to Hughenden.

Coming into Hughenden was pretty neat, all I could see was endless road as far as a eye can see. All of a sudden the road bent to the right bang your in Hughenden. On my arrival into the caravan park what did I see at the camp kitchen….. A dude playing country music!!!! Sweet!!!! Get to eat dinner and watch a concert, that’s so groovy!!! The guy was alright by the end he was doing request, I called one out “lynyrd skynyrd” haha Of course he played Sweet Home Alabama haha

From Hughenden it was on to Richmond, started late and I finished late haha When I parked the bike I went in my trailer to grab my wallet. But it wasn’t where I usually store it so I kept on looking around but still no sign, at this time I was getting a little bit more worried hahah. Started pulling my trailer apart looking everywhere, I was almost done looking and about to call the last place I stopped but at that moment I found my wallet!!! Almost had a heart attack hahah It would suck if you lost your wallet in the middle of the outback hahahah

In Richmond I camped next to a little lake that was quit nice. Had a nice pathway right around it and picnic tables and bbqs to have lunch and dinner. They had a Dinosaur museum as there attraction, but didn’t have time to check it out sadly. It was a nice visit in Richmond I really enjoyed it.

On my way to Julia creek!! There was a lot of nothing between Richmond and Julia creek it took all day to get there and by the time I got into town all the shops were closed and couldn’t go shopping for any food hahah So I did the next best thing went to the local hotel and ordered a meal haha That day was 150km and pretty happy that I didn’t have to cook a meal and wash up haha.

From Julia creek it was onto Cloncurry, all I can say was that my legs where pretty tired from the other day but I planned on taking a rest in Cloncurry. While I was riding there was nothing until I got 20ish km to Cloncurry then hills started appearing out of no where haha. It was so weird haha. By the time I got into Cloncurry another little one man band was playing in the caravan park while I was setting up my site haha. Just behind my tent I was looking at a neat looking rock feature. This was my resting point before going to Mt Isa. On my resting day I finally got reception on my mobile and decide to check my voice mails total of six haha. While eating my blueberry bagel and cream cheese going through my voice mail, the most spontaneous message ever!!!! My sister got engaged!!!! How crazy is that!!! But that’s not all kept going through my voice mail and what do you know the wedding is in 3 weeks hahaha What am I going to do!!!! Middle of my trip and my sister is getting married at home in Canada haha What am I going to do about this situation?!! Get to Mt Isa and jump on a plane to Canada!!!! YAAAAA!!!!!!

While I stayed in Mt Isa for 3 days to figure when the next flight out was I stayed at the caravan park, which they were very friendly people. One of my days I caught up with this couple that I met in the very beginning of my trip, which live in Mt Isa. They showed be around the town and the history everything. It was so wonderful, got my own private tour sooo groovy!!! It was time to take the plane to Melbourne to back up some stuff and head to Canada!!! The caravan park was sooo generous to let me store my bike and all my belonging while I was gone!!!!!! Absolutely the most wonderful people. I met a family that was travelling around Australia; they were sooo friendly and amazing!!! What a wonderful family I wish them all the best and hope to see them on the road soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment